MOTHER’S DAY BREAKFAST
from Laurie Burrows Grad*
Can you believe Mother’s Day is already here, right around the corner? These muffins are a great way to surprise Mom or Grandma with a breakfast treat that is nutritious. Grandmas or Grandpas can help the kids surprise their Mom’s with this delicious baked egg dish easily prepared in muffin cups.
BAKED SPINACH AND FETA MUFFIN CUPS
My friend Dana Jacobi came up with this clever way to make spinach fun to eat. These mini-soufflés are a form of spanakopita, a Greek spinach pie, without the hassle of working with phyllo dough and without the extra butter added.
6 extra-large muffin tin liners
Knives for chopping
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1-pound package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly squeezed dry
½cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta or goat cheese
¼cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- Place a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Set 4 foil or paper muffin tin liners in a muffin tin and coat with cooking spray,
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, and sauté the onions for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring often, until lightly golden. Add the spinach and cook stirring often until well combined, about 2 minutes. Place in a large mixing bowl; allow to cool for about 5 minutes before proceeding with the recipe.
- Add the feta, Parmesan, eggs, salt and pepper, and stir well with a rubber spatula. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin cups filling them to the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly golden and firm when touched lightly in the center.
- Remove the muffin cups from the soufflés and serve immediately.
* Laurie Burrows Grad is a cookbook author, television chef, food journalist, and activist/fundraiser for the Alzheimer’s Association. Her cookbooks include Make It Easy in the Kitchen; Make It Easy Entertaining; Make It Easy, Make It Light; and Entertaining Light & Easy. On a personal note, she is the enthusiastic babysitter for her ten-year-old grandson Lucas and his six-year old sister, Georgia.