a special feature from Leslie Zinberg & Kay Ziplow, founders
It’s our belief that sharing is caring; and therefore, we are all about just that! Together we bring you a combination and blend of our grandparenting tips. We hope every moment you’re together with your grandkids, you’re mindful of how truly special this journey is.
As a grandparent…
- Be in the moment. Enjoy being together right now. Breathe in and take notice.
- Read to your grandchildren. It does not matter how old your grandkids are. Your older grandchildren can always read to you or with you.
- You are a role model. Remember that. They are watching and listening.
- Be kind, as kindness is contagious.
- Listen to your grandchildren. Pay attention to their stories and their thoughts. Answer their questions.
- Act silly. Have fun. Sing and dance. Laugh out loud. Go outside the box.
- Play outside. Breathe in the air. Take walks. Point out the beauty in life — the stars (find the constellations), the soft green grass, the leaves swaying in the wind, the sweet fragrance of the roses. Initiate outdoor experiences with your grandchildren – kids love to be outside.
- Create anything! It does not matter whether it’s an art project, a science experiment, or a new recipe, being and creating together is key. Inspire each other. These moments create conversation and memories.
- Remember– you are the grandparent and not the parent. (And, it’s okay to have your own rules in your home – these create a platform of respect.) Most of all, show respect for their parents’ wishes and rules and boundaries.
- Tell your grandchildren how much you love them! Show them in words, in actions, in experiences.