10 Terrific Grandparent-Grandchild Activities
1. Send a jar with the exact number of M&M’s as days that are left until your next visit. Instruct your grandchild to eat one M&M a day, until you are together again.
2. Send a “Heart Attack”. Cut out heart shaped pieces of paper and write on them the things you appreciate about your grandchild. Place all the hearts in an envelope and mail them to him or her.
3. Begin a Life’s Lessons Booklet. Each week write down a few of the lessons you’ve learned in life and how you learned those lessons. When the booklet is full, send it to your grandchild.
4. After a visit, create a complimentary report card about your grandchild’s interactions with others and send it to him or her.
5. Pick a day where you both will perform random acts of kindness. For example: do the dishes for mom, rake leaves off the neighbor’s lawn, pay someone’s toll, etc. Call each other at the end of the day to share how the day went.
6. Write short notes on 3×5 cards before you leave. Hide them all over the house for your grandchild to find after you have gone.
7. Play Internet games together like Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune, both of which can be found at www.sony.com. Other games that can be found on the Internet include golf, card games, chess, checkers, Sim City, strategy games etc…
8. Start a joint family history project. Ask your grandchild which relatives he or she would like to get to know better, and together research stories and information about them.
9. Have a star officially named after your grandchild. Call 1-800-282-3333.
10. Teach your grandchild skills in a sport, art, music, etc. by making homemade instructional videos, featuring you as the coach or teacher.