Just in time for the holidays, here’s a great idea…
Consider this incredible fun idea for the entire family. From the wee ones to the older adults, this is sure to please the whole group. There’s nothing better than family memories and sharing them- right? Here’s a suggestion sure to delight every age… with a lasting memory to boot.
Creating your own family time capsule is something we really get excited about, especially as we embark on the holidays and look forward as the new year approaches. The time capsule is a really simple project and best of all, everyone gets to contribute by adding one item and placing it in a container. Once completed, organize a family ‘dig’ to bury it if possible. Remember, if you can’t all get together, what better time than the holiday season to engage everyone beyond the gifts and pageantry — and meet on Zoom or Facetime. Designate a family member to do the dig. You can even choose a date in the future to retrieve and relive the memories together and all over again!
What you’ll need:
1. Tell everyone no matter what age to bring one small item for the capsule (encourage each member who is participating to have fun with their choice). Ask the out-of-towners to mail in their contribution.
2. Take a Sharpie pen and write the date and family member name on each item.
3. Use Ziploc bags to wrap and seal each contribution.
4. We suggest using a plastic container to bury the items (since a tin can or box will rot and rust over time). Make sure to seal the edges with strong duct tape to keep moisture out.
5. Designate one time when the entire family is together, and create your memory capsule. Discuss when you want to reclaim and dig it up! Choose the number of years or directions as to how and when someone should dig up the capsule. (The longer you wait…the more shocked you will be when the capsule is dug up!)
6. Have each person take pictures of themselves while creating their contributions. And — take pictures of where your capsule is buried (just in case you forget where the treasure is hidden).
7. Pass on the tradition!