Sponge Balls A Great Outdoor Activity
Even with the summer season almost at it’s end, there’s still plenty of fun to be had outside. Give this activity a whirl – we are sure the kids will love it; and adults as well! *Squishy sponge balls are summer’s alternative to snowballs and an answer for some absolute outdoor fun.
• Bucket of water
• Three ½” x 2 ¾” x 4 ¼” sponges** (rectangular)
Made from kitchen sponges that are cut up and tied together, they last longer than water balloons and are softer and splashier than regular balls. Best of all, after tossing them around, the kids will be as clean as the kitchen dishes.
• With a pen and a ruler, make five lines lengthwise on a sponge, each ½” apart.
• Use scissors to cut the sponge, using the lines as a guide. Repeat with the other two sponges.
• Lay strips on top of each other in three layers, five to six to a layer. Cinch them across the middle with a piece of string; knot it tightly.
• Fluff pieces out into a ball.
• Dip the sponge balls into the bucket of water, ring them out a little (!) and go for it. Have some fun with backyard tag.
**Tip: Use new sponges, and be sure not to wet them ahead of time; they are easier to cut straight out of the package.
*Article and photo reprinted from: www.marthastewartliving.com