Grab the Healthiest Fruits of the Summer!
These nutritional powerhouses are at their peak right now, so head to your local farmers’ market and stock up! Be good to yourself and your body.
- RASPBERRIES: Of all the berries, raspberries have the most fiber to keep you feeling full — one cup gives you 8 grams and has only about 65 calories.
- PLUMS: There are more than 200 varieties, but buy the dark purple or red ones and eat the skin, which has high concentrations of antioxidants to combat inflammation.
- SWEET CHERRIES: One cup provides about 300 mg of potassium, which helps regulate your blood pressure, plus supplies a big dose of antioxidants.
- STRAWBERRIES: They can boost your immune system. Just one cup will give you your entire daily requirement of vitamin C. Strawberries might also help control type 2 diabetes and prevent heart attacks.
- PEACHES: Peaches and other stone fruits have compounds that can reduce obesity and inflammation. They may even help fight breast cancer.
- TART CHERRIES: Packed with antioxidants, these may decrease your risk of heart disease and stroke and ease arthritis symptoms. They’re linked to better sleep and muscle recovery after exercise.
- BLUEBERRIES: They get their deep color from anthocyanins, which protect your heart and can improve memory and reduce urinary-tract infections.
*Article reprinted from: Ladies Home Journal, July/August 2014, pgs. 58-59.