These nutritional powerhouses are at their peak right now, so head to your local farmers’ market and stock up! Be good to yourself and your body.
- RASPBERRIES: Of all the berries, raspberries have the most fiber to keep you feeling full — one cup gives you 8 grams and has only about 65 calories.
- PLUMS: There are more than 200 varieties, but buy the dark purple or red ones and eat the skin, which has high concentrations of antioxidants to combat inflammation.
- SWEET CHERRIES: One cup provides about 300 mg of potassium, which helps regulate your blood pressure, plus supplies a big dose of antioxidants.
- STRAWBERRIES: They can boost your immune system. Just one cup will give you your entire daily requirement of vitamin C. Strawberries might also help control type 2 diabetes and prevent heart attacks.
- PEACHES: Peaches and other stone fruits have compounds that can reduce obesity and inflammation. They may even help fight breast cancer.
- TART CHERRIES: Packed with antioxidants, these may decrease your risk of heart disease and stroke and ease arthritis symptoms. They’re linked to better sleep and muscle recovery after exercise.
- BLUEBERRIES: They get their deep color from anthocyanins, which protect your heart and can improve memory and reduce urinary-tract infections.
*Article reprinted from: Ladies Home Journal, July/August 2014, pgs. 58-59.