It’s the summer season filled with an abundance of sunshine and fresh air, so we ask, what makes this time of the year extra special for you? After all, we have collectively lost so much time traversing and dealing with the continuing pandemic in our lives. Now more than ever, it’s important to take charge and do something you haven’t been able to access or enjoy for yourself. Doing something to fulfill your needs is as important as knowing there is a sun-up and sundown every day of our lives. Take a moment and do something for you- yes, YOU!
Here are 15 simple things you can do to boost your well-being:
1. Ditch the couch and relax outdoors. Grab a blanket or lawn chair and something to read. Set up camp on a shady patch of grass; go visit a park you haven’t been to before.
2. Go for a stroll. A long walk can be a great way to clear your head and enjoy a warm summer afternoon. You can also grab a friend and get your exercise while catching up.
3. Explore your local farmer’s market. Take advantage of seasonal produce and local vendors. A trip to the farmer’s market can be a great opportunity to try new foods and incorporate healthier options into your diet.
4. Start a garden or join a community garden. Gardening can be a nice way to meditate, enjoy the outdoors and get some sunshine. It can also serve as a bonding time with your family or a way to make new friends. And at the end of the day, you can enjoy the literal fruits (and vegetables) of your labor!
5. Tidy one small space. Perhaps a drawer or the top of your desk – even having one space clean and free of clutter can help you feel calmer.
6. Make a summer feel-good playlist. Bring on the summer tunes! Music can be an effortless way to improve your mood and motivate you to get moving. Bonus points for listening while exercising or cleaning.
7. Have a picnic. Enjoying a meal outside can be an easy way to get some fresh air and sunshine and shake up your daily routine.
8. Try a new exercise. Getting those endorphins flowing can help calm your mind and improve your mood. Think about doing something outdoors like hiking, tennis or swimming. Just don’t forget your sunscreen and bug spray!
9. Look for things going on in your community. Search online or in the newspaper for events going on around town. Consider outdoor movies, yard sales, festivals, concerts, or an exercise class. Making fun plans can help you feel excited and give you something to look forward to.
10. Start or continue a journal. Writing can be a great way to express how you feel and check-in with your emotions. Or it can just be a place to doodle or draw. Make it whatever you need.
11. Reconnect with someone. Call an old friend – or even an extended family member to catch up.
12. Do an at-home spa day. Taking a bubble bath, using a face mask or doing a DIY pedicure can all be affordable ways to help yourself feel cared for. A candle, essential oils, and relaxing tunes can all add to the spa vibe.
13. Go exploring. Pull up a map and find a new area of town that you haven’t been to yet.
14. Practice mindfulness. Try meditation or make a list of 10 things you are grateful for.
15. Do a personal assessment. How did your last week go? Is there anything you could do to make next week better? Maybe you need more sleep or more social time. Prepare some healthy meals before your next busy week. Take a moment to reflect and think about how you can make time for whatever you need and to best care for yourself.