Spring into a Healthy You!
a special feature from *Debra Orringer, Clinical Exercise Physiologist
It doesn’t matter if you are a grandparent, mom, dad, sister, brother or golden retriever, everyone needs to get up and get going! With the long winter days behind us all, and resolutions that maybe looked great on paper, (and months old), now’s the chance to get rid of those dreary excuses! If you don’t, you might find yourself glued to the television, rather than taking that Yoga class or getting to the gym.
You are the master…yep, you are the one who is in charge of making good choices that will result in a better you! The weather is warming up and cabin fever is no longer an excuse. It’s just simple – get OUTSIDE. What can excite you about being active outside? Whether you are a amateur athlete that wants to train for the next 5K , or you are excited about getting your garden in order, it doesn’t matter at any level. Making that first step to get off the couch and into the sunshine will benefit you! Hey, Vitamin D is really important. (See our article: https://grandparentslink.com/yes-to-vitamin-d/). Moving will energize your day, sharpen your mind, and boost your overall health. Here are some simple tips:
- Add basic activity to your day: start by taking the stairs, parking your car farther away in the lot, and walking a few laps around your grandson’s soccer game rather than sitting the entire time. These small steps help you become more active and burn significant calories over time.
- Do some yoga or meditation on your back porch. Feel the sun on your face and the breeze in your hair.
- Dig a garden and plant some vegetables and herbs. Herbs do wonders for our health and they give our bodies an additional boost that they need.
- Walk around the local shopping center. In addition to getting your cardio, you can also see all the wonderful change of season sales.
- Try one new cardiovascular workout each week for a month. You’ll get to meet new people and learn something new.
- Sign up for the local 5K…. whether you want to walk or run – enjoy training for the activity with a group of friends.
- Search for local activity groups to join. New friends and new experiences await.
Take advantage of the warmer weather, the new goals you have set, and a whole new perspective on you!
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
*Debra Orringer, MS from Naples, FL, is a Clinical Exercise Physiologist with 20 years in the fitness industry. She has managed the wellness programs at the Kennedy Space Center as well as consulted for several national fitness companies, authored articles, and retains a myriad of advanced level certifications. Debra works as a Wellness Coach for Isagenix.
For further comments contact Debra at: