from the desk of Leslie and Kay, Founders Grandparentslink.com
The times we are together are special indeed. And, the mess left behind can be an overwhelming task after all is said and done. We are passing along some great tips to make the stains vanish, and the clean up all that easier.
*The best homemade solutions are usually the most effective in removing stains from carpet and upholstery…and simple to make:
Dish Soap: ¼ tsp of Dawn or Joy mixed with 1-cup water
Vinegar Solution: 1 part vinegar, 1 part water
Ammonia: 1 tbsp. clear ammonia mixed with 1-cup water
Hydrogen peroxide: ½ cup hydrogen peroxide plus 1 tsp ammonia
Keep these solutions on hand and use for the following:
- Outside dirt tracked inside all over carpets? Vacuum and use our Dish Soap Solution.
- Snow and Salt: Blot out the alkaline stain that is left, and use the Dish Soap Solution.
- Pee: Soak up with dry towel and apply the Dish Soap Solution.
- Vomit: Use warm water and blot (don’t rub) – use the Ammonia Solution.
- Poop: Apply warm water and Dish Soap Solution. After blotting, use the Ammonia Solution to follow.
- Blood: Cold water and Dish Soap Solution first. Then use Peroxide Solution.
Remember, messy times mean there were good times! So don’t stress about it, just use our suggestions above for a quick and easy way to tidy up.
* Excerpted and reprinted from Real Simple Family, 2012, p.20