Wonderfully Fresh and HEALTHY Muffins
This delicious recipe is from our friend Rachael who is one of the healthiest cooks we know. We think you will love these easy-to-assemble muffins. In fact after trying this recipe, you may even want to forego the insulin-spiked, white flour muffins stocked in the markets and bakeries, and bake these on a weekly basis. And, they are a great gift to take to your friends and neighbors; they will be so impressed with the extra healthy ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the DRY ingredients together:
- 2 cups flour — try using 1 cup whole wheat, ½ cup millet, ½ cup whole oats
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ to ½ tsp cinnamon (or other spice) depending on your taste preferences
In a large, bowl, combine WET ingredients:
- ½ cup Earth Balance vegan butter spread at room temperature
- ½ cup raw sugar
- Beat the butter and sugar.
- Add 1 egg and beat with butter and sugar
- Then add:
- ½ cup milk (might want to use Soy Milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups fruit & nuts, or chocolate chips… Can use ripe bananas & walnuts; or apples, shredded carrots, raisins, & walnuts…berries…pumpkin, cranberry, or choc chips & pecans. (An example of proportions: 1 cup mashed bananas, ½ cup choc chips, and ½ cup of nuts) Be creative!
Combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Butter a 12-cup muffin pan with Earth Balance vegan butter spread, and cook for 20 minutes.