Today’s world is all about being health and eco-conscious. People want as few chemicals as possible in their daily lives. We were lucky enough to discover the Natural Home and Garden.com website, and they have posted these detergent, stain spray, and brightener recipes. Why not give them a whirl? We think you will be very pleased with your freshly clean, chemical free laundry.
- 16 cups baking soda
- 12 cups borax
- 8 cups grated castile soap or glycerin soap flakes*
- 3 tablespoons lavender, lemon, or grapefruit essential oil
Combine baking soda, borax, and soap flakes. Add essential oil and mix with a wire whisk. Use 1/8 cup per load. Store in airtight containers, like dairy tubs, or powdered formula cans. This recipe should be enough for one year for a family of four.
*Try Sun Feather Natural Soap Company (www.sunfeather.com), or buy bars of castile soap (like Dr. Bronner’s) and grate with a kitchen grater.
Pre-Wash Stain Spray
- ½ cup wine vinegar
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 3 cups water
- Stir together and fill a spray bottle. Be sure to label this bottle! Spray on spots before washing, but always test fabric first on a hidden spot.
- 1 cup hydrogen peroxide
- ¼ cup lemon or grapefruit juice
- 12 cups water
- Mix and store in a labeled plastic jug. Add 2 cups per load along with detergent.
— To make clothes even cleaner, follow your detergent with 1/2 cup of borax, an all-natural laundry booster.
— Add baking soda to wash water at the same time as detergent to soften and freshen your clothes and linens.