First things first ‘grand’parents, we need you to realize that it’s not a competition with anyone… not with your spouse to see who can get more attention, and certainly not with your own child, nor the mother or father of your adored grandchild. The grandkids are embarking upon a part of their lives where they need to discover and uncover and experience all that life has brought forth. You now must learn as a grandparent to be in control of consideration and respect, and manage your emotions so that you are not the cause of family despair. Sometimes, as much as you may not want to…you may have to learn a little self-discipline and keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself.
The best advice we can give you-
- Remember that there is only one you. You have been granted the extraordinary privilege of being a grandparent and no one can steal your identity or your title.
- Each of your grandchildren are going to be different; make sure to focus on each unique relationship you’d like to build with them. Enjoy what you CAN do with your grandchildren and stop focusing on what you CAN’T.
- There might be times when you are feeling moments of jealousy when other grandparents might live closer to the grandkids or it seems like they get more time with them. Remember to ask yourself: do you really want your grandkids to choose sides? Do I really want to deny my grandchildren of opportunities to experience more love than we can give alone?
- Make sure to put LOVE at the top of your list gifts, first and foremost. Money, trips and presents can’t compare with genuine love and shared time. Always make your love unconditional.
- Remember….as part of another generation, you become a role model. You are the bearer of family history and values and traditions that you can now share with another younger generation. Empower your grandchildren with your wisdom and experience – be supportive, be genuine, and above all else as we have said so many times, be the real you. Practice a little empathy; you will see that mutual respect and honesty create a basis for a wonderful and lasting ‘grand’ relationship.