Inevitably, we need to see the doctor. But… how many times, have you left the office and said, “I forgot to ask a question,” or. “I do not remember everything I was told.”
Here are some helpful tips:
1. Write down any questions that you may have before you visit the doctor.
2. Bring a trusted friend or family member with you.
3. Communicate and collaborate respectively with your doctor.
4. Listen carefully to what the doctor is saying. Take notes.
5. Before leaving the office, make sure you are absolutely clear about all the information you have received.
6. If you need another appointment, book it before you leave. And if you need a prescription, make sure you know the name of the medicine and the dosage.
* Reprinted (and edited) from Vital Signs, September 2013, Vol. 59, p. 9.