Here’s a quick and delicious take on a great traditional dessert that we just love.
Prep: 35 minutes
Chill: 2 hours
Bake: 50 minutes
Cool: 55 minutes
¾ cup butter
2 cups pecan halves or pieces, toasted and finely chopped
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons all- purpose flour
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups plain yogurt
In a small bowl stir together 4 teaspoons milk and 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals until coffee is dissolved. Stir in 1 cup powdered sugar and enough additional milk
(1 to 2 teaspoons) to make icing with a “drizzling” consistency.
1. In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, without stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes or until butter becomes brown and fragrant. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and chill for 2 hours or freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan or coat with nonstick spray for baking; set aside. For filling, in a small bowl combine ¾ cup of pecans, ½ cup of the brown sugar, and the 2 teaspoons flour. Add 3 tablespoons of the browned butter and work in with fingers or a fork until mixture is crumbly; set aside. In a bowl stir together the 3 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat the remaining browned butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the remaining 1½ cups brown sugar; beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until combined. Stir in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and yogurt to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in the remaining 1¼ cups pecans.
4. Spoon half of the butter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle batter in pan evenly with filling. Spoon remaining batter over filling, spreading to cover.
5. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool about 45 minutes more. Drizzle with coffee icing before serving. Makes 12 servings.
*Reprinted from: Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications; your cover recipe. Sept 2013, p. 2.