A Winter Warm Up
Turkey Sausage Vegetable Soup*
This soup is totally a crowd pleaser for those cold winter days. Hearty and chocked full of vegetables, it’s absolutely fantastic with some warm crusty bread!
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 lb. Italian turkey sausage
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery ribs, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. Kosher salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
8 cups (2 qt.) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 (14.oz) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup uncooked pasta
1 cup Tuscan kale, ribs removed, finely chopped
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large Dutch oven (large pot) over medium high
- Add turkey sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned, about 5 minutes
- Remove sausage from pot. Add remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil; reduce heat to medium low. Add onion, carrots, and celery; cook until onion is translucent and carrots and celery are bright and somewhat softened, about 10 minutes add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Return turkey sausage and any accumulated juices to pot.
- Add oregano, crushing between fingers to reduce aroma.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in pasta and cook for 10 minutes
- Stir in kale and cook 5 minutes longer. Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Ladle into bowls…. Top with cheese!
*Recipe reprinted from: Bon Appetite Magazine, November 2015.