Fabulous Summer Menu Ideas!
We’ve got you covered here with 9 super delicious and simple recipes for those warm summer nights. All you need to do is to gather up the crowd. We promise there won’t be anything left!
CLASSIC BARBECUE CHICKEN*
• Season 12 bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (about 4 pounds total) with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill over indirect heat covered and turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part (avoiding the bone) registers 165°F, 30 to 40 minutes.
• Move the chicken over direct heat. Cook, basting with ¾ cup barbecue sauce and turning often, until deeply browned and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. (Move off direct heat if the chicken begins to burn on the edges.)
CREAMY DILL POTATO SALAD*
• Boil 3 pounds new or fingerling potatoes (halved if large) in a large pot of salted water until tender, 20 to 25 minutes; drain.
• Combine ¼ cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise and spicy brown mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and toss to combine. Let sit, tossing occasionally, until the dressing is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Add 2 sliced stalks celery and ¼ cup chopped fresh dill and toss to combine.
• Boil ⅔ cup sugar and ⅔ cup water in a small saucepan, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the peel from 2 lemons (using a vegetable peeler). Let cool; discard and peel.
• Combine the lemon syrup, 2 cups fresh lemon juice (from 10 to 12 lemons), 1 sliced lemon and 2 cups cold water in a large pitcher. Add 2 cups ice; stir until the ice is melted. (This will quickly chill and dilute the lemonade.)
• Serve over ice. (If you would like a lemonade cocktail, top with gin, St. Germain (elderflower liqueur), or vodka).
MARNATED WATERMELON AND TOMATO SALAD*
• Combine 10 cups cubed seedless watermelon and ¼ cup fresh lime juice in a large bowl. Let sit, stirring occasionally, at room temperature for 15 minutes. (the watermelon will absorb the lime juice as it sits.)
• Add 1 ½ pounds chopped tomatoes, ½ sliced small red onion, ½ cup torn fresh basil leaves, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss to combine.
SUMMER BERRY PARFAITS*
• Toss 1 ½ quarts hulled and quartered strawberries, 2 cups blueberries, 1 cup raspberries, ¼ cup granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until the berries are juicy, 20 to 30 minutes.
• Whip 1 ½ cups heavy cream, 3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar, and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
• Layer the cream and berries in eight 8-ounce jars or parfait cups, dividing evenly.
* recipes from: www.Realsimple.com
Summer Tomato, Onion & Cucumber Salad **
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
2 medium cucumbers
4 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, halved and very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, chives and/or tarragon
Whisk vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper in a large shallow bowl.
Remove alternating stripes of peel from the cucumbers. Slice the cucumbers into thin rounds. Add the cucumber slices, tomatoes and onion to the dressing; gently toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
Just before serving, add herbs and toss again.*
*Recipe reprinted from: www.eatingwell.com
Creamy Cucumber Bites**
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
1 ounce ranch dressing mix
1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
1 loaf sliced miniature party rye rounds
1 cucumber, thinly slice
dill weed for garnish
Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, dressing mix and dill in a medium bowl until well mixed.
Spread on one side of each bread slice. Top each slice with a slice of cucumber and sprinkle with additional dill.
Chill until ready to serve.
Raw Artichoke, Celery, and Parmesan Salad**
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 baby artichokes (about 1 lb.), stems trimmed
1 cup thinly sliced celery
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
2 oz. shaved Parmesan
Whisk oil and juice in a medium bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, break off outer leaves until only pale-green ones remain. Cut 1/2″ off the top; trim dark-green parts around stem and heart. Slice lengthwise very thinly and toss in dressing. Repeat with remaining artichokes. Mix in celery and remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter and top with cheese.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons grated or minced peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup rice wine or dry white wine
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 pound large shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined
Cooked brown rice
1 package of Bamboo Skewers for the grill
Rinse the shrimp off, and pat dry. Meanwhile, whisk and combine all of the first 5 ingredients together – place in a Ziploc bag or sealed container and put the shrimp in there as well. Marinate overnight.
Skewer several of the shrimp and slowly grill until pink.
Serve the shrimp over warm cooked brown rice and enjoy!
**Recipes reprinted from: www.bonappetite.com www.health.com www.recipes.com