grandlink | Sep 1, 2019 | 0
It’s pumpkin time! The small pumpkins, called “Small Sugar Pie” are the perfect size for baking individual desserts. Your grandkids will love assisting you with these sweet little presentations. Enhance the pumpkins with fresh orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple syrup, and voila!
Ingredients for one little pumpkin dessert:
One mini-pumpkin for each person (with stem)
A pinch of ground cinnamon
A pinch of ground nutmeg (especially wonderful to freshly grate nutmeg seeds)
2 teaspoons fresh orange juice and a bit of zest
1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup
A dab of unsalted butter
Fresh whipped cream or ice cream
1. Gently slice off the top of the minis – about of the half way down. Let your grandchildren scoop out the seeds and any strings.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the pumpkins on a parchment or foil-covered cookie sheet. Ask your little helpers to sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt into each pumpkin.
3. Spoon in orange juice, vanilla, and a little orange zest.
4. Drizzle Maple syrup inside each pumpkin and add a dab of butter.
5. Put a square of parchment or foil atop each pumpkin, and then replace the top.
6. Bake about 40-50 minutes, lift the tops, and let them rest for about 10 minutes.
7. Fill each pumpkin with whipped cream or ice cream. And add a light drizzle of maple syrup.
*Recipe from Toad Cottages & Shooting Stars by Sharon Lovejoy, p. 155.