Lentil Bean Stew & Perfect Popovers*
Here’s a scrumptious recipe for a hearty delicious meal that everyone will enjoy!
Lentil Bean Stew
What you’ll need
1 lb. red lentils
1 lb. green lentils
3 garlic cloves, peeled
3 tsp. kosher salt
1 ½ in. piece of ginger, peeled
4 tomatoes, cut into 1 ½ -in. wedges
3 lemons, juiced
1 bunch kale leaves, spines removed- roughly chopped
- Put lentils into a large pot filled with 3 quarts water. Add garlic, salt and ginger. Bring pot to a simmer.
- Once the beans have cooked for 15 minutes, add tomatoes.
- When beans are soft and tomatoes have lost their form (about 20 minutes). Turn off the heat.
- Add lemon juice and stir in kale leaves. Salt to taste.
What you’ll need
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs, at room temperature- beaten
1 cup half-and- half
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Literally grease the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with butter. The butter should be tickly applied in each individual cup.
- In a small bowl combine the eggs and half and half, and whisk until the mixture is a uniform color and texture.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour and salt. Whisk to ensure they are thoroughly blended, then pour in the egg mixture; whisk to combine. Add the Parmesan, and whisk until only tiny lumps remain.
- Preheat the muffin pan in the over for 4 minutes. Right before you take the pan out of the oven, whisk the batter. Pour the batter into the hot muffin pan, filling each cup a little less than halfway.
- Bake for 25 minutes without opening the oven door. The popovers should be puffy, browned and crisp. Serve warm with butter!
*Recipes reprinted from: People Magazine, November 2015.