With the summer season it’s the perfect time to explore all the yummy vegetables and fruits that are abundant…. maybe from the local farmers market or from your own garden!! No worries however, if you’re not able to plant yourself, just keep your meals filled with what’s fresh from the season. Here’s a few of our favorites:
4 large zucchini
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1 c. mozzarella balls, quartered if large
1/4 c. fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1. Using a spiralizer to create zoodles out of zucchini.
2. Add zoodles to a large bowl, toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Let marinate 15 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, mozzarella and basil to zoodles and toss until combined.
4. Drizzle with balsamic and serve.
Grilled Green Beans
If you’re cooking over an actual grill, place a heavy-duty piece of foil over the grates before adding the green beans. It will prevent all the veggies from falling through the cracks. No grill or grill pan? A cast iron skillet works well too!
1 lb. green beans, ends trimmed
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. chili garlic paste
2 tsp. honey
Pinch red pepper flakes
Sesame seeds, for garnish
Thinly sliced green onions, for garnish
Roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, soy sauce, chili garlic paste, honey, and red pepper flakes, then add green beans and toss to coat. Season with salt.
2. Place green beans on grill pan and cook until charred all over, about 7 minutes total. (If you’re using a grill, lay a thick piece of foil over grates and place green beans on top. Grill as instructed.)
3. Garnish with sesame seeds, green onions, and peanuts.
Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups
This recipe takes some time and patience, but it’s just about the prettiest “pasta” dish you’ll ever see. If you have a mandolin, use it to make the noodles; if you don’t, practice your knife skills.
6 large zucchini
1 (16-oz.) container ricotta
3/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan, divided
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper
1 c. marinara
1 c. grated mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Slice zucchini lengthwise into ⅛” thick strips, then place strips on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
2. Make ricotta mixture: In a small bowl, combine ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan, eggs, and garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Spread a thin layer of marinara onto the bottom of a 9”-x-13” baking dish. On each slice of zucchini, spoon a thin layer of sauce, spread ricotta mixture on top, and sprinkle with mozzarella. Roll up and place in baking dish, packed together tightly.
4. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until zucchini is tender and cheese is melty, 20 minutes.
*Recipes reprinted from: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a47882/zucchini-lasagna-roll-ups-recipe/